Saturday, March 7, 2015

Zaatar Infused Croutons

Hello there! It has been very busy over here. I mean in my head. I have so much going on and so little to show. Almost all is still in the brainstorming phase and most of those projects are new to me that I have to practically learn new techniques to accomplish them. So much learning is going on at the moment and cooking has taken a sort of back seat in my mental to do list. However, I was able to make this delicious croutons variation that injects the zaatar flavor into salads and soups. I also dipped them in my homemade labneh (Click here for my homemade labneh recipe). You can simply eat them on their own as a healthy flavorful crunchy snack and a better alternative for chips and crackers. 

You can also check out my Pita chips recipe if you prefer the pita option. Click here for the recipe.

Ingredients:
Stale baguette or any stale bread you have. I used sour dough because that is what I had on my hand.
2-3 tablespoons of dry Zaatar mix. I used a Lebanese mixture of Zaatar.
4-5 tablespoons of olive oil.
a pinch salt
a pinch pepper

Baking Sheet
Aluminum foil

Method:
Heat you over to 385 F

Cut the bread into 1 inch cubes or to any size. Make sure to modify the cooking time, remember smaller piece require less cooking time.
You will need to use a baking sheet to properly bake these croutons. The key is to spread them into one layer. Needless to say, I use aluminum foil to cover the baking sheet and for easy clean up.
Mix the dry Zaatar and olive oil and spoon them over the cubed bread pieces. If you feel that more olive oil is needed, go ahead and add some more.


Add the salt and pepper and make sure that everything is evenly spread over the sheet.
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown and crunchy. Make sure to check and stir halfway
Let them cool down. I like to save them in a zipped plastic bag in a cool dry place. no fridge, no freezer. 

Enjoy!
Nadine
Resources
Homemade Labneh Recipe, click here
How to make the ultimate Labneh Sandwich, click here
Baked Pita Chips Recipe, click here



1 comment: