Saturday, October 11, 2014

Tortilla Espanola: Spanish Omelette

I am not a big fan of breakfast. I don't wake up hungry and eager to eat, let alone cook something for me. However, I do know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I can honestly attest to how I eat more at lunch time when I skip breakfast, thus I do my best to eat something. I normally eat a small Labneh or Cheese sandwiches in the morning, click here for my homemade Labneh recipe, here how to make the ultimate Labneh Sandwich and here on how to make Simple Cheese. Sometimes, when my morning schedule allows, usually on the week ends, I make Tortilla Espanola that we eat either for breakfast or brunch with a side of a simple Tomato Basil Salad.

Ingredients:
Omelette:
4 eggs with 2 egg whites (egg whites optional)
2-3 tablespoons of milk or cream
one small yellow onion 
1 to 2 potatoes
Salt and pepper

Salad:
Grape tomatoes
5-6 Leaves of basil
2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Salt and pepper

Tool
I use my mandolin to thinly slice the onion. I also use it to cut thin potato rounds. You can easily use a knife to do so, you can even cut the potatoes into squares instead of rounds. Actually, squares of potatoes are what Spanish traditionally use in this recipe. 

Method:
In a non stick pan that you can use in the oven, heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
Add the onion slices, let them cook until golden.
Add the potatoes and some more olive oil if needed. Add salt and pepper to taste. Potatoes love salt.
Cook the potatoes for couple minutes. Then cover the pan and lower the heat. Let the steam do the cooking. The potato slices are thin so they don't take too much time to cook. May be 5 to 7 minutes. They should be fully cooked and fork tender.
In a bowl, mix the eggs and 2 to 3 tablespoons of milk or cream. It adds richness. Mix until combined. I like to add some egg whites to increase my protein. 
Cook for 2 minutes on medium low heat until the bottom is cooked.
You can cook the top by either covering the pan again and let the steam finish off the cooking; or by finishing the cooking in a preheated oven with the pan uncovered. Preheat the oven to 375 F. When done and cooled a bit, flip the omelette on a plate and serve warm with the tomato basil salad. You can even eat it at room temperature. 
For the Tomato Basil Salad
Cut grape tomatoes in halves. 
Julienne the basil leaves. (Thinly chop)
Add salt and pepper lemon juice and a splash of olive oil. Taste and adjust seasoning.

Enjoy!
Nadine

Resources:
For my Homemade Labneh Recipe, click here
For my Ultimate Labneh Sandwich Recipe, click here
For my Simple Cheese Recipe, click here
For my Homemade Yogurt Recipe, click here





No comments:

Post a Comment