Thursday, October 11, 2012

Susan's Chocolate Chips Cookies


I have had chocolate chips cookies before coming to the states but to the be honest with you, I was never impressed and I wondered why this fuss about chocolate chips cookies.  I came to the US and found that there is a chocolate chips cookie cult. Kids adore them, adults go crazy for them. Chocolate chips cookies are the quintessential American treat!
My husband loves to eat them with a glass a milk...so American. Do you know that I can NOT drink milk on its own...I have to add coffee or something...let alone cold milk! In the Middle East you dont see kids open the fridge and drink cold milk..well for two reasons at least. First, liquid milk didn't exist for the longest time, powder milk is king. Second, milk is rarely served cold over there. I was always fascinated by my husband whose favorite treat in the world is a stack of chocolate chips cookies and a cold glass of milk. My sister in law Susan makes delicious Chocolate Chips Cookies and she was kind enough to share the recipe with me. The best thing about this recipe is that it is an easy recipe that you can make on the spot because you use melted butter as opposed to room temperature butter. These cookies are seriously good and the better the quality of chocolate you use, the better tasting these cookies are. I cant say that chocolate chips cookies are my favorite dessert ever, but I cant say no to a chocolate chips cookie these days.

Preheat oven to 375 F

Ingredients:
1              stick of salted butter ( 1/2 cup)
1              stick of unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
1              cup of brown sugar
1/2           cup of granulated sugar
2 1/2        cups of flour
2              eggs
1              teaspoon vanilla extract
1              teaspoon baking soda
1 to 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (I like to mix dark and semi sweet chocolate chips)
1              cup of walnuts if desired (which is very desired in my home)

Directions:
  • Melt the two sticks of butter and put them in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
  • Cream the melted butter, sugar and eggs
  • Add 1 1/2 cups of the flour and slowly mix, add the vanilla and baking soda and mix. Add the rest of the flour
  • Add the chocolate chips and walnut if using.
  • Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or a Silpat.
  • Roll 1 teaspoon into a ball and place on the baking sheet until you use all the mixture. Make sure to keep 2 inches between the cookies.

  • Bake 8-10 minutes until light golden brown 
  • Cool the cookies on cooling sheets. Remove the cooled cookies from the baking sheets with a side metal spatula.


No comments:

Post a Comment